EDA Consortium Reports Revenue Increase for Q1 2011
July 18, 2011 -- The EDA Consortium (EDAC) Market Statistics Service (MSS) today announced that the EDA industry revenue increased 16% for Q1 2011 to $1446.4 million, compared to $1247.0 million in Q1 2010. Sequential EDA revenue for Q1 2011 decreased 4.1% compared to Q4 2010, while the four-quarters moving average, which compares the most-recent four quarters to the prior four quarters, increased by 14.2%.
"First quarter 2011 results represent a significant increase in all product categories compared to Q1 2010, with CAE, PCB and MCM, IC Physical Design and Verification, and SIP all showing double digit increases," said Wally Rhines, EDAC Chair and Chairman and CEO of Mentor Graphics Corp. "Geographically, all regions realized increased revenue in Q1 2011 compared to Q1 2010, with the Americas, Japan, and Asia/Pacific regions posting double digit increases."
Companies that were tracked employed 26,457 professionals in Q1 2011, a decrease of 1.2% compared to the 26,767 people employed in Q4 2010, but up 1.4% compared to Q1 2010.
Revenue by Product Category
- The largest category, Computer Aided Engineering (CAE), generated revenue of 530.6 million in Q1 2011. This represents a 15.7% increase over Q1 2010. The four-quarters moving average for CAE increased 12.9%.
- IC Physical Design & Verification revenue increased to $318.5 million in Q1 2011, a 16.1% increase compared to Q1 2010. The four-quarters moving average increased 7.6%.
- Printed Circuit Board and Multi-Chip Module (PCB & MCM) revenue of $140.4 million represents an increase of 28.3% compared to Q1 2010. The four-quarters moving average for PCB & MCM increased 14.9%.
- Semiconductor Intellectual Property (SIP) revenue totaled $371.4 million in Q1 2011, a 15.7% increase compared to Q1 2010. The four-quarters moving average increased 27.9%.
- Services revenue was $85.6 million in Q1 2011, an increase of 2.2% compared to Q1 2010. The four-quarters moving average decreased 2.1%.
Revenue by Region
- The Americas, EDA’s largest region, purchased $602.4 million of EDA products and services in Q1 2011, an increase of 22.2% compared to Q1 2010. The four-quarters moving average for the Americas increased 12.8%.
- Revenue in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa (EMEA) was up 7.8% in Q1 2011 compared to Q1 2010 on revenues of $241.8 million. The EMEA four-quarters moving average increased 7.9%.
- First quarter 2011 revenue from Japan increased 17.7% to $295.3 million compared to Q1 2010. The four-quarters moving average for Japan increased 6.9%.
- The Asia/Pacific (APAC) region revenue increased to $307.0 million in Q1 2011, a 10% increase compared to the same quarter in 2010. The four-quarters moving average increased 31.7%.
The complete MSS report, containing detailed revenue information broken out by both categories and geographic regions, is available via subscription from the EDA Consortium.
Reprinted from SOCcentral.com, your first stop for ASIC, FPGA, EDA, and IP news and design information.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Tech Pro Communications, 1209 Colts Circle, Lawrenceville, NJ 08648